Brain foods are highly in demand for seniors with Alzheimer’s. Thus, if you are caring for seniors at a hospice in Yorba Linda, California, consider adding ingredients that enrich the brain when preparing a meal for them.
Here are some of the best ingredients to include:assisted-living-home-hospice
- Organic/Unprocessed coconut oil
- Omega-3 oils (either from certain fish, flax seeds, or chia seeds)
- Olive oil
- Whole grains (i.e. buckwheat, rye, and barley)
- Spices and herbs (i.e. ginger, clove, cilantro/colander, turmeric, or cinnamon)
While there are food ingredients that are healthy for seniors in a senior home care in California, there are also some that must be avoided. Here are some of the major ones:
- Processed foods with traces of aluminum (i.e. baking powder)
- Trans fats
- Foods with environmental chemicals
In some cases, the senior may be allowed to consume red wine, but keep it moderate. While it has protective value, that is only true if red wine is consumed in small amounts. Excessive drinking, especially for seniors, is unhealthy.
Another point to remember when you are caring for seniors at an assisted living in California is that there must be an approval of the senior’s doctor before making major dietary changes. Any change must not conflict with their treatment plan.